Friday, November 18, 2016

Salvage: not today

Last Sunday, with the help of a friend, we pumped out the standing rain water and towed the derelict Columbia 26 to our slip.  We were alerted to the boat by a previous owner of the boat.
He told me the the most recent owner of the boat never registered it and after a storm left it abandoned.
In the course of the tow, a DNR water patrol officer came along side and inquired about our intentions.
At that point the salvage was in gear and he was happy to be rid of the boat.
He had a copy of the current (2015) registration with owners name.
The officer did not have correct contact info and had never been able to contact the owner to press him to move the boat.
He gave us the registration papers.  With these I was able to track down the owner, give him a call to find out his intentions.
He said he has and interested buyer.
I encouraged him go for it.
While we were within our rights to claim salvage on an abandoned boat, reason dictated I return the boat and move on.
After inspecting the boat and estimating the needed work, the rescue didn't make sense. Poor ODIN!
I do like the lines of this boat and its interior is surprisingly roomy.  It also has the advantage of being able to fit under the Oriental bridge.  But as my friend suggested, it is a buyers market and boats of this size can be had reasonably.
The whole exercise was not a waste.  I was under the impression the smallest boat I would be interested in for accommodations would be in the 34 foot range.  This 1969 Columbia was way bigger the the 1969 Carl Alberg designed Kittywake I had owned previously.
The fire has been lit.  We will be looking for a boat around 28-31 feet.
Here is a photo of Tiny and I contemplating our future:

No comments: